Thursday, April 29, 2010

Favorite Book

Those of us who like to read normally wouldn't have much trouble telling someone what our favorite book was if asked....mine would have to be To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, and I would have to guess that I've read that book about 5 times throughout my life. I'm a little sad to report that though it's my favorite, I'm not all that great with remembering details except Scout accepting Boo Radley and me being happy about it. Having the summer to do some free reading has led me to put Mockingbird at the top of my must-reads this summer. I still have my dog-eared copy from high school (back when I thought that having free-reign to write in all the margins was a thrill, since it had always been a no-no up til that point) and I'm looking forward to reading it with adult eyes and seeing what opinions I had about it when I was a teen.

Mrs. S reminded me today on her blog of The Great Gatsby and how much I also loved that book when I read it in high school. I think that keeping up on books that have a significance to our culture helps me to get those pop culture references that others might miss because they aren't as well read. Fitzgerald will definitely have to go on my list as well....if anyone else has any must-reads (& remember this is summertime coming up, so no War & Peace) I would love to hear about what you love and why I must read it....

And though it is a guilty pleasure, the book that always makes me cry my eyes out is The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. I had read the book way before having seen the movie, so I figured that I knew what to expect, but something about the tenderness of the story makes me tear up every time (and Ryan Gosling isn't too bad to look at either.) I guess a good story never gets old, no matter what generation it takes place in or who reads the story, as long as there is a message that can be learned by it's readers....

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Tina,

    My favorites are stories from when I was a young maiden. The Secret Garden and Can I Get There by CandleLight cannot be replaced by any. They are the root of who I am and who I have become. "When one enters into a garden, one is next to God" is an expression that I keep dear to my heart. I had read Mrs. Siemen's post of the Great Gatsby and honestly, though, I had read the story in high school, I cannot recall it. I remember reading Bernice Bobs Her Hair more than Gatsby. It is femininely orientated and brought thougths to mind that became personal. My grandfather would have flogged me for sure, had I ever cut someone else's hair. I cannot almost feel it as I think of it. There are just certain stories that invoke thougths of such and this was one of them. Connection sometimes makes a difference with recall, they say. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete